Monday, October 20, 2008

More Powell

On Obama and world affairs:


I have watched him over the last two years as he has educated himself, as he has become very familiar with these issues. He speaks authoritatively. He speaks with great opposition into the challenges we're facing of a military and political and economic nature. And he is surrounding himself, I'm confident, with people who'll be able to give him the expertise that he, at the moment, does not have. And so I have watched an individual who has intellectual vigor and who dives deeply into issues and approaches issues with a very, very steady hand. And so I'm confident that he will be ready to take on these challenges on January 21st.


If that’s supposed to reassure me, it’s not working. I’ll grant that Obama is good at speaking (with a teleprompter), is probably okay at thinking, and damn well better be great at staffing. It’s leading that I wonder about.


Back before it became a complete waste of time, I used to venture onto the liberal blogs and ask a simple question: In the years since he gave his now-celebrated antiwar speech in 2002, what has Barack Obama actually done to bring an end to the conflict in Iraq? This struck me as a legitimate line of inquiry, since Obama was using his early opposition to the war to bludgeon his Democratic rivals and to trumpet his own superior "judgment." I would invariably receive in response a fusillade of insults, along with numerous references to Hillary Clinton’s AUMF vote, but as for an answer to my question–


Crickets. I’m still waiting.

No comments: