Friday, June 13, 2008

Is this a great country or what?

One of the nice things about living in the United States as opposed to Australia or the old Soviet Union is the absence of mandatory voting. Never has the right to sit on the sidelines and complain seemed more precious.

The Democratic Party Politburo has thrown all caution--as well as all standards of fair play--to to the winds by ensuring that our best candidate get steamrolled in favor of the Money Machine from Chicago. (But really--can you blame the sniveling bastards in Washington? Obama's donor list was encrusted with too much bling. Protecting the people's right to be heard is fine, but let's not get carried away. Nancy Pelosi has mouths to feed in Congress.)

While a McCain presidency is problematic, there's really nothing I can do to keep him out of the White House. (Howard Dean could have helped the cause by running an honest party, but it's too late for that now.) And isn't at least possible that Harry and Nancy have learned something about outmaneuvering a future Republican president. That's a stretch, but still. . .

Why should I vote for Barack Obama? He doesn't have any qualifications that I care about. He appears to be an ideological shape-shifter more likely to cozy up to Ben Nelson than to Russ Feingold. I don't trust him to manage the difficult and dangerous withdrawal of our troops from Iraq. And in voting for him I'd be rewarding--at least in my own mind--the corrupt leaders of the DNC.

If by pulling the lever for Obama I could magically make him president, I guess I'd do it. He seems marginally better than McCain. But I don't have that power.

I'll probably take a pass in November.

No comments: