Monday, November 17, 2008

Clinton in the Cabinet

Descend, dear reader, into the sewer that is the psyche of Maureen Dowd. (I myself no longer have the stomach for such an undertaking, so I've merely glanced at her latest dropping.)


Are you finished yet?


Of course it’s the same old crap! The mainstream media (and Ms. Dowd is its lodestar) is simply incapable of dealing intelligently with the Clintons. The stained blue dress is never far from their thoughts. And one of the iron truths of life is that journalism only gets worse. It’s going to stink more tomorrow than it does today, and so on. (Some form of Gresham’s Law seems to apply.) Best to ignore it.


So--what about the new media? Well, the boys at Open Left have been contemplating the prospect of Hillary at Foggy Bottom, and some of them are none too happy. Here’s a comment:



I'm Batshit Crazy over this. This is a nightmare. If I wanted Hillary in control of FP, I would not have busted my ass supporting Richardson, then Obama in the Primaries. Unless someone wants to convince me that it was entirely political posturing that Hillary has refused til the bitter end to apologize for her Iraq war support, I have no option other to conclude that she does in her heart feel that she made the right decision and that if she had to do it over again, would do the exact same thing. I guess you might argue that Obama is the only one truly in control and she won't do anything he doesn't want her to do, but I am severely worried about this. I do not want Hillary going rogue all over Obama's foreign policy. I don't want her any where near it. Seriously, what have Richardson and Clark done to deserve getting smacked around like this. Seriously, WTF? –supag32


This is a bit much for Chris Bowers, who responds, with Olympian detachment:


I don't care about the Clinton vs. Obama battle anymore. I can't even believe some people are still living through it. I care about the progressive vs. centrist struggle, and that is not, and never has been, the same thing as Obama vs. Clinton.

Uh, Chris . . . Have you ever read your own fucking blog? Before the election, you and Matt Stoller told us that because of her vote on the war, Hillary Clinton was little better than Dick Cheney. Only Barack Obama had the necessary vision to transform our foreign policy into something Samantha Power could endorse. Now you’re saying it’s okay for Hillary and her shitty judgment to help shape our future? WTF, indeed! (Don’t even get me started on Joe Biden. He used to be beyond the pale, too.)


I happen to greatly prefer Hillary’s judgment to Barack’s, but I must say I share some of supag32's confusion. We’re both trying to figure out what Obama actually stands for, once the votes are counted.

No comments: